The University of New Mexico
Comprehensive Cancer Center
As the only NCI-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center within a 500-mile radius, we have the state’s largest team of cancer physicians and serve almost 14,000 patients each year from every county in the state. Our mission is to focus scientific and clinical expertise — as well as interdisciplinary education and training programs — on those cancers that have high incidence, mortality, or disparity in the multiethnic and underserved populations of New Mexico.
We turn discovery into hope, translating groundbreaking research into new treatments for cancer patients.
UNM Cancer Center is the only facility in New Mexico that offers:
• Radiation Therapy,
• Cancer Surgery,
• Cancer Genetic Counseling,
• Clinical Trials,
• Supportive Care, and
• An Onsite Pharmacy
• Together under one roof.
The UNM Cancer Center is ranked among the top 3% of cancer centers in the United States.
• It is one of only 53 centers in the nation to achieve a Comprehensive designation from the National Cancer Institute and the only one in a 500 mile radius. It is the Official Cancer Center of New Mexico.
It is home to New Mexico’s largest team of cancer specialists.
• More than 140 board-certified oncology physicians from top institutions such as MD Anderson, Johns Hopkins and the Mayo Clinic represent every cancer specialty.
• More than 100 research scientists from schools such as Harvard, MIT and Memorial Sloan-Kettering are recognized throughout the nation for breakthrough research in genomics, leukemia, nanotechnology, radioisotopes and drug discovery.
• Our research scientists bring their discoveries home to UNM Cancer Center oncology physicians to bring our patients the most advanced cancer screening, diagnosis and treatment.
Multidisciplinary teams collaborate to develop the most effective treatment plan for each patient.
• World-class multi-disciplinary teams of cancer physicians work with nurses, pharmacists, patient navigators, and supportive care specialists to design a personalized care plan for each patient.
• Nurse navigators serve as a regular point of contact for the patient throughout their cancer care. Patient navigators help to find resources for support needed outside of treatment.
• Our teams deliver care for the patient seamlessly in a compassionate, culturally-sensitive way.
One hundred percent of every dollar raised by the Lobo Cancer Challengers supports world-class cancer care at home for New Mexicans.
Visit The University of New Mexico Comprehensive Cancer Center website.
UNM Health is Delivering More: Comprehensive Cancer Care (2022)
NCI Comprehensive Cancer designation renewed in 2021
The Lobo Cancer Challenge is Presented By