The Lobo Cancer Challenge helps us to deliver the best cancer care in the world. And when you support this fundraising event, you help all New Mexicans who are facing cancer.
The support of our generous sponsors enables us to channel 100% of the fundraising dollars to directly support cancer patient care, research, community outreach, and education and training at the UNM Comprehensive Cancer Center.
We are profoundly grateful to everyone in our community who has participated, volunteered, sponsored and donated. This past year has been trying for all of us. Thank you for your continued support.
Why Your Support of the UNM Comprehensive Cancer Center is Critical
I ride in the Lobo Cancer Challenge because
- The UNM Comprehensive Cancer Center is the only cancer center in New Mexico that is designated by the National Cancer Institute. It holds NCI Comprehensive designation, the most rigorous and elite designation, and is one of only 51 NCI Comprehensive Cancer Centers.
- The UNM Cancer Center offers our region cancer diagnosis, treatment, and survivorship care. The 146 cancer physicians in every cancer specialty and 600+ staff treat patients from every county in New Mexico and from outside our state. Together, they treated almost 14,000 people last year in more than 105,000 clinic visits.
- The 102 cancer scientists at the UNM Cancer Center focus on discovering the causes and cures for those cancers that most frequently affect New Mexicans. They provide cancer education and screening programs and engage with communities throughout our state to address specific cancer needs.
- The cancer doctors and scientists are working together to discover new approaches to screening, diagnosing and treating cancer. From using pilot funds to collect preliminary data to translating their discoveries into investigator-initiated clinical trials, they are developing new approaches to address the cancer burden in our state. Their discoveries have led to new and more effective treatments for many cancers such as those of the breast, ovaries, brain, skin, and blood.
- Our Clinical Research Office offers access for all New Mexicans to new drugs and therapies in clinical trials. It works closely with the other members of a statewide collaborative network called the New Mexico Cancer Care Alliance.
- The UNM Cancer Center trains more than 200 cancer physicians, scientists, pharmacists and nurses every year, contributing to our future healthcare workforce.
Join me in supporting these critical missions!
Alan Tomkinson, PhD
UNM Comprehensive Cancer Center
The Victor and Ruby Hansen Surface Endowed Chair in Cancer Research