I am fighting cancer by joining the Lobo Cancer Challenge. As many of you know, I lost my wife, Bernice Florez, to cancer in October of 2013. She was first diagnosed with breast cancer in 2009 and underwent a double mastectomy. In 2012, she was diagnosed with Endometrial cancer. She fought a brave battle for over a year and never gave up the fight. During that time, my family and I saw what this horrible disease can do to the patient, caretakers and all involved. Along the way, we received support in many different ways and realized that any amount of support goes a long way. Since then, we have had other family members lose their battle to this disease. We have helped when and where possible, but it never seems to be enough. I HATE this disease with a passion and pray that a cure is found soon.
I’ve committed to raise funds to help New Mexicans facing cancer. Please consider giving what you can. All of the funds raised by riders, runners and walkers in the Challenge — 100 percent — support cancer patient care and research, education and training at The University of New Mexico Comprehensive Cancer Center in Albuquerque.
Every amount helps, and it stays right here to help people in our state.
Did you know that the UNM Comprehensive Cancer Center …
- Is the only cancer center in our state designated by the National Cancer Institute. It is one of only 49 NCI Comprehensive Cancer Centers, placing it in the top 3% of cancer centers in the United States.
- Has the state's largest, most comprehensive team of more than 125 board-certified oncologists in every cancer specialty.
- As a multidisciplinary team, oncological physicians and surgeons collaborate to develop the most effective plan for each patient, working with nurses, pharmacy and staff to coordinate the patient's care.
- Offers 175 clinical trials, making the latest and most advanced treatments available to all New Mexicans. The treatments include immunotherapies, cell-based therapies, cancer precision medicine, and targeted treatments derived from genomic sequencing.
- Conducts world class research to discover the causes and cures for those cancers that most frequently affect New Mexicans. Its physicians and scientists have translated their discoveries into new and more effective treatments for breast and ovarian cancer, leukemias and other blood cancers, melanomas, brain tumors, and many other types of cancer.