On September 8th, myself along with some coworkers and friends will be participating in UNMH Lobo Cancer Challenge, 25 mile bike ride. 100% of the funds go toward helping those fighting cancer.
My family was fortunate enough that when my grandma Vae was thought to have cancer this is where her journey started. In the end she was diagnosed with state 4 pancreatic cancer. It was at UNM with Dr Nir during what was going to be a laparoscopic look into my grandmothers abdomen and if everything looked fine, then a Whipple procedure. When looking into my grandmothers abdomen he found how extensive the cancer was and elected to stop the operation. A choice that gave us the most time with her. As it was she spend several day in the truama surgical ICU, a couple of those days on a ventilator, from just barely tolerating the anesthesia only.
It was the though the recommendations of the staff UNM Cancer Center that we took our next steps as a family. Their compassion through every step of the process was incredible. I would hope with the money raised here that I can help give that care and time to families facing the same situation as mine did.
Thank you visiting this page and donating any amount you may have.
Did you know that the UNM Comprehensive Cancer Center …
- Is the only cancer center in our state designated by the National Cancer Institute. It is one of only 49 NCI Comprehensive Cancer Centers, placing it in the top 3% of cancer centers in the United States.
- Has the state's largest, most comprehensive team of more than 125 board-certified oncologists in every cancer specialty.
- As a multidisciplinary team, oncological physicians and surgeons collaborate to develop the most effective plan for each patient, working with nurses, pharmacy and staff to coordinate the patient's care.
- Offers 175 clinical trials, making the latest and most advanced treatments available to all New Mexicans. The treatments include immunotherapies, cell-based therapies, cancer precision medicine, and targeted treatments derived from genomic sequencing.
- Conducts world class research to discover the causes and cures for those cancers that most frequently affect New Mexicans. Its physicians and scientists have translated their discoveries into new and more effective treatments for breast and ovarian cancer, leukemias and other blood cancers, melanomas, brain tumors, and many other types of cancer.