I am fighting cancer by joining the Lobo Cancer Challenge. I’ve committed to raise funds to help New Mexicans facing cancer. Please support in any amount that is comfortable because every single donation helps.
I am riding in honor of Abby Spooner, a remarkable young woman nearing her 21st birthday. I have known Abby for nearly 20 years and she was diagnosed with stage 2b Hodgkins Lymphoma as she was completing final exams this past spring semester ('18) of her junior year at UNM. Her strength, courage, fear and honesty have been inspiring but not surprising. This is Abby. She will celebrate her 21st birthday receiving her 6th of 12 chemotherapy infusion treatments unless her hematologist oncologist, Dr. Quintana (for whom her family is thankful every day), can allow her a one day extension...so she can be with her friends during a birthday that marks a recognized right of passage!!
UNM's Comprehensive Cancer Center is one of just 49 NCI-designated comprehensive cancer centers in the nation, which places us among the top three percent of cancer centers in the country. It is because of this level of ongoing excellence that Abby and her family are confident that she is receiving the best care by remaining in New Mexico for her treatment and ongoing care.
Please give what you can to help ensure that New Mexicans facing cancer diagnoses and treatment do not have to leave our state to receive care from a comprehensive cancer center in the top three percent of the country.
All of the funds raised by riders, runners and walkers in the Challenge — 100 percent — support cancer patient care and research, education and training at The University of New Mexico Comprehensive Cancer Center in Albuquerque.
Every amount helps.
Did you know that the UNM Comprehensive Cancer Center …
- Is the only cancer center in our state designated by the National Cancer Institute. It is one of only 49 NCI Comprehensive Cancer Centers, placing it in the top 3% of cancer centers in the United States.
- Has the state's largest, most comprehensive team of more than 125 board-certified oncologists in every cancer specialty.
- As a multidisciplinary team, oncological physicians and surgeons collaborate to develop the most effective plan for each patient, working with nurses, pharmacy and staff to coordinate the patient's care.
- Offers 175 clinical trials, making the latest and most advanced treatments available to all New Mexicans. The treatments include immunotherapies, cell-based therapies, cancer precision medicine, and targeted treatments derived from genomic sequencing.
- Conducts world class research to discover the causes and cures for those cancers that most frequently affect New Mexicans. Its physicians and scientists have translated their discoveries into new and more effective treatments for breast and ovarian cancer, leukemias and other blood cancers, melanomas, brain tumors, and many other types of cancer.