I am fighting cancer in our community by riding in the 2nd Annual Lobo Cancer Challenge on September 8, 2018. All of the funds raised in this bicycle race and walk/run challenge will be donated to research, education and training, and support of our patients at the UNM Comprehensive Cancer Center in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Visit www.lobocancerchallenge.org.
Please consider joining the challenge as a rider or a walker, riding as a member of my team, or donating to my team - The Willman Cancer Fighters! Our team's first goal is to raise $10,000 and if we exceed that, well $20,000. Every amount helps and it stays right here, to help people right here, in our community and our State. Every dollar you donate to my ride — 100 percent of it! — goes to cancer research and cancer patient care.
Did you know that …
- The University of New Mexico Comprehensive Cancer Center (UNMCCC) is the only comprehensive cancer center in our state and region designated by the National Cancer Institute as one of our nation's 49 NCI Comprehensive Cancer Centers, the top 3% of the nation's elite cancer centers.
- The UNMCCC offers our state and region's most comprehensive cancer diagnosis and treatment, with over 140 cancer physicians and surgeons in every cancer specialty and over 600 staff.
- The UNMCCC provides treatment for nearly 60% of the adults and the majority of children affected by cancer in our region who come from every county in New Mexico and many states across our nation.
- The UNMCCC also conducts world class research to discover the causes and the cures for those cancers that most frequently affect New Mexicans, as well as community based cancer education and screening programs.
- Our physicians and scientists have translated our discoveries into new and more effective treatments for many cancers, including breast and ovarian cancer, leukemias and other blood cancers, melanomas, brain tumors, among many types of cancers.
- We offer access for all New Mexicans to new drugs and therapies in cancer clinical trials in a statewide collaborative network called the New Mexico Cancer Care Alliance.
- We have the region's only Phase I Unit, offering access to the most advanced treatment and newest cancer drugs, including new immunotherapies and cell based therapies, as well as cancer precision medicine and targeted treatments derived from genomic sequencing.
- Every year, we train over 200 cancer physicians, scientists, pharmacist, and nurses, who form New Mexico and our nation's health care workforce.