Mike’s Team is up and running (biking) again! Our team rides in memory of Michael Reifsteck, my sweet little brother-in-law. Six years ago, Michael passed away at the age of 15, after an eight-year battle with leukemia. Michael’s memory coin includes the following Albus Dumbledore quote from Harry Potter books, “After all, to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.” Our family is so proud to remember Michael by riding in the Lobo Cancer Challenge Bike Ride, benefiting the UNM Cancer Center.
This year, I am dedicating my run and my fundraising to the memory of my grandma, Jackie Cockerill - who, not surprisingly, donated to our ride last year in Michael's memory. My grandma passed away in January of this year, also from cancer. My grandma was kind, feisty, silly, strong - a real Catholic Irishwoman. She was full of faith and love and laughter and grit. She was a realist but ever the optimist. She was the life of the party and the first to help or roll up her sleeves and get her hands dirty. She was a force. The kind that does everything she can to fight the cancer and still help others and never lose her spunk. Here’s to you, Grandma.
Please help us by contributing what you can. Every dollar you donate to our ride goes to cancer research and cancer patient care. Did you know that …
- The University of New Mexico Comprehensive Cancer Center is the only cancer center in our state with designation from the National Cancer Institute. Of the 1,500 cancer centers in the country, it is one of only 49 that is designated as Comprehensive.
- The UNM Comprehensive Cancer Center conducts research particularly focused on those cancers that affect New Mexicans most. Its scientists translate some of these discoveries into new treatments each year through clinical trials.
- The UNM Cancer Center’s clinical trials make the latest and most advanced treatments available to everyone in New Mexico? The UNM Cancer Center is a founding partner in the New Mexico Cancer Care Alliance.
- The UNM Cancer Center has more than 125 board-certified oncology (cancer) specialty doctors. Their team includes cancer surgeons in every specialty, adult and pediatric hematologists/medical oncologists, gynecologic oncologists, and radiation oncologists.
- Every patient at the UNM Cancer Center gets a personalized treatment plan that their team of doctors creates just for them. That plan takes the patient’s wishes and situation into account and gives them the best chance to overcome their cancer.
- The UNM Cancer Center offers many, many different programs to help each person facing cancer and the people who love and support them. Cancer affects every part of life and everyone could use help when faced with fighting it.
Thanks for helping us to remember Michael and Grandma Jackie and to fight cancer!